Sunday, March 16, 2014

Meal Time Tips

As a professional dog person, I have people ask me all the time, how much should I feed my pet? When should I feed my pet? Well that is a different answer for each person. I often tell people that the best person to answer this is your vet or a breeder of the animal you have. Also you can get the information on the food that you purchase. But here is my two cents worth.



For small/toy breeds you should feed no more than a cup a day. Best to feed them twice a day for they usually have more energy and use more of the intake.

Normal to medium breeds you should feed 2 to 3 cups a day. And again twice a day for the same reason as small breeds.

Large breeds you should feed 2 to 4 cups a day and you can feed them once or twice a day. Some heavier breeds may require 6 cups a day.

Giant breeds you should feed between 8-10 cups a day and feed them once or twice a day, some heavier breeds may require 2 more cups.

I do not recommend grazing feedings, but I practice it. If you can get your pets to eat a specific times such as mornings and early evenings, it gives a better routine. The only reason we do it is because that is what they have been used to for so long, luckily they rarely eat our of the others bowls so we feed them in the am and they usually eat by evening.

If you feed soft/can food you will have to adjust your amounts and feedings. I do not recommend soft food, because it can cause tarter and plaque buildup on teeth, and hard food helps keep teeth strong and healthy. I also have a dog that refuses to eat soft food.

I know it is horrible to see undernourished animals, but I also hate to see overweight animals. obesity in pets can lead to many health problems, including, but not limited to, diabetes, joint pains, and heart problems. Please be aware of your pets weight, your vet or breeder can recommend the ideal weight for your breed.

I know that treats are a normal part of our lives with pets. But keep in mind that treats will add extra, not thought about weight to your pet. I once had a vet tell me that 1 milk bone is the equivalent of 1 snickers to humans. So remember that when feeding your pets treats several times a day.
I also do not recommend table food for pets, when I say table food I mean food prepared for humans. Foods, such as, rice, veggies, chicken and tuna are all good foods for pets when not salted and spiced,. I have clients that feed a mixture of rice and veggies to there pets and all of them are healthy and happy.

Another good tip, use stainless steel, ceramic, or pet bowls made with antibacterial materials, this helps cut down on germs, organisms, and bacteria that can grow on pets bowls. I would also wash pet bowls at least once a week. This also helps with bad breath and mouth health.

Now these are just my opinions, and things I have learned over the years working with pets. Use your own judgement as to your pets needs, and if you have any questions please consult your veterinarian.

I hope you enjoy these tips and this View of a Dog Walker

Susan
KCPS

No comments:

Post a Comment